5 Basic Things You Need to Make Your Own Cream
You can make your own cream easily. How and what things do you need? You will be sure that it is completely safe and natural. This cream will make you look and feel much better then usual creams from your drugstore.
- Scale weight- to measure ingredients;
- Thermometer – you can use even tea one with scale up to 80 ℃;
- Milk blender – to mix phases of a future cream, better without spring;
- Glass beakers – 2 pcs for a water and lipid phases;
- Glass stick – to blend during warming-up and in the end instead of Milk blender, if you do not have one;
- Bain-marie – a pot with water to warm-up phases;
- Litmus paper with scale – optionally;
- Spatula or 1-2 tsp. – to help yourself to take butters from jars etc.;
- Jar for cream;
- Paper towels;
Sanitizer – 70% isopropyl alcohol
All tools and surfaces must be sterilized. Already clean tools and dishes must be sprayed and dried before use.
- Oils and butters;
- Water (distilled), herbal distillates (hydrolates), tea;
- Active substances: vitamins, extracts, moisturising agents (hyaluronic acid, squalene etc.) and essential oils.
To make a cream/lotion you need a recipe. The cream consists of 2 phases: lipid and liquid in relation 3:7 or 2:8.
You need to calculate how much of every oil/butter would you like to add. Take 1-2 basic oils/butters and 1-2 specific oils/butters. You need to combine butters (firm) and oils (liquid) in a way to make smooth cream, f.e. to take coconut and shea butter plus almonds oil and apricot kernels oil.
Emulgator and fat soluble vitamins as A and E, and other lipophilic substances should be calculated in lipid phase. For creams it’s around 30% and for lotions – 15-20%. Depends on emulgator we add lipid phase to water or vice versa (O/W or W/o emulsion)!!!
Warning! Vitamins must be added to the mixture in the end, when temperature will be under 30℃.
Water (distilled) (you can buy it in supermarkets or at a petrol station) and/or hydrolates could be around 60% of emulsion (cream). The rest of active ingredients and water soluble agents must be included here. For warming-up with water we could add also glycerine, sorbitol, thickeners like xanthan gum.
Already calculated and included either to lipid or water phase substances.
These are vitamins (A, E, B5), essential oils, CoQ, hyaluronic acids, AHA acids, hydromanil, honeyquat etc.
Both phases are being warming up to 70℃. then to cold down to 50℃ when you can mix it. At 30℃ you can add active ingredients.
To make a homemade cream you really need to have a big desire to do something by your hands. First time it could take up to couple of hours for preparing everything, for choosing a recipe and calculating all ingredients. First time could be not very successful, but do not give up. Re-calculate everything one more time, stick to the temperature norms.
Before you need to buy all tools, if you do not have it at home already.
To get a recipe, you can use oneof mine here.
After making it, do not forget to leave it in a fridge for 24 hours before use.